Monday, July 21, 2008

While I was gone...

Hmm, seems like everyone disappeared for a week or two, missed the computer, and came back today. Do we all think alike or something?

Anyway, I was thinking of posting about this article on LRRH, but I didn't want to spawn any "controversy", so I hope this is ok to post here. I always thought that there should be age restrictions on books, but....well, what do y'all think? B/c I always hate it when I want to read a book and have to go through tiresome research to simply find out whether it's clean, so, personally, an age restriction (like MPAA ratings, if you're still confused) would be great for books.

Opinions?

4 comments:

Q said...

(It could just be my computer, but that link didn't work for me.)

I always thought they should basically do the same scale as MPAA, as well as listing why that book recieved that rating (e.g. language, sensuality, violence). That way, one can screen out what one does not wish to see in a book.

spider said...

The link didn't work for me either.

It's a good thought, but I wouldn't like "ratings," exactly. I'm not a fan of the MPAA system, and I'm not bothered by "inappropriate" material as long as it helps develop the story. I know I've read books that might be rated R, and I might feel awkward reading a book like that in public if anyone could see what it was rated and why. (I don't know how visible the rating would be, but I'm assuming it would be somewhere on the cover.) I'm comfortable with the material, but some people might not be and could think of me differently if I'm reading books with "violent images and sexual themes," for instance.

Anonymous said...

The link didn't work for me.
I don't like age restrictions on books. I get if they want to rate it for seriously adult themes, but I'm not crazy about the idea. And honesty I've found the rating on movies usually not that accurate.

Jacqueline (bookbutterfly) said...

Oi, stinky link. It worked last night, but they must have removed it today. I'll find another for y'all. Anyway, interesting answers, everyone! I agree, Q, that there should be notes on what kind of content is in there, and, Spider, I also agree it would be pretty silly to put a rating on, say, a picture bk for li'l kids. Oh, and TRG, totally with you there on what you said about inaccurate MPAA ratings. HATE that.