Thursday, June 12, 2008

Half-Way Reviews: Mia, CCB Part 1

This is going to sound really tuppid to everyone, but until I figure out what to write about, I'm going to have half-way reviews. These are reviews of books I'm in the middle of reading and how I like them so far. And since I'm not really reading all of those books under "What I'm Reading Now", I'll just do the two that I've been really, really, really reading. That would be Mia by Laurence Yep (AG bk) and Catherine, Called Birdy by Karen Cushman.

OK, so for Mia. To be honest, I had very low expectations for this bk. It had kinda low ratings on Goodreads, so I didn't think this would be as good as the other AG bks. But I was surprised! Well, first off, it's kid lit, but it's really quite good! Laurence Yep did a fantastic job w/ the narrating; you could almost hear a 10-year-old girl narrating this story! Sometimes some of the dialogue does sound a wee bit younger or a wee bit older than what a 10-year-old says, but other than that, this bk is cute. This one even has some humor that you just can't resist chuckling to. So far I'm on Ch 6 (I think), literally half way, but I'm really liking it so far.

Catherine, Called Birdy. I finished the first chapter in about half an hour, which is kinda short considering how slow I usually read. Either I'm finding everything funny, or I'm just reading a lot of funny bks, b/c this is also quite humorous and comical. The narrating is also terrific; you forget that this is written by a modern-day author and not by a Medieval teen. I'm quite pleased with this one. The bk did fool me: it may look like a thin little bk, but it's not a light read. Or maybe I'm just too slow. ;-)

No comments: